Please be aware that the International Institute of Physics, IIP, never contacts the participants to ask for credit card or similar information. Participants are expected to pay for their travel and accommodation by themselves unless they qualify for financial support. If you have any questions, please contact IIP events department at email@example.com
August 14-18, 2023
The strategic goal of the International Institute of Physics (IIP) at UFRN in Natal is to promote research at the frontier of theoretical physics. The corresponding range of activities of the Institute, guided by the International Advisory Committee (IAC), includes research conducted by local research groups, national and international visiting programs for scientific collaboration, and a program of international scientific events.
During the pandemic period from 2020 to 2022, the outreach activities of the IIP predominantly took place online. However, in the course of 2023, the Institute is set to return to the full scale of its scientific programs. The in-person meeting of the IAC of the IIP, scheduled for August 14-15, will shape the calendar of activities for 2024. On this occasion, the Institute will be hosting an international scientific event dedicated to the progress in theoretical physics at the frontier.
The goal of the workshop "Physics at the Frontier" at the IIP is to highlight important problems in physics and new approaches to their solution, as well as promote deeper connections between physics communities in Brazil, South America, and other parts of the world. The IAC members and invited guests will share their personal perspectives on cutting-edge research in various areas. Symbolically, this event will mark the beginning of a new season of scientific events in Natal.
The workshop also celebrates new partnerships between the IIP and international organizations supporting fundamental research. This event is organized with the kind support and cooperation of the University of Chicago and Simons Foundation.
Alvaro Ferraz (International Institute of Physics, Natal - Brazil)
Dmitry Melnikov (International Institute of Physics, Natal - Brazil)
Rodrigo Pereira (International Institute of Physics, Natal - Brazil)
Paul Wiegmann (University of Chicago, USA)
The workshop will consist of a series of talks on several frontiers of modern physics
- Astrophysics and Astroparticle Frontier
- Rita Anjos (Federal University of Parana, Palotina - Brazil)
- High Energy Physics and Particle Physics Frontier
- David Gross (Kavli Institute, Santa Barbara - USA)
- Pedro Vieira (Perimeter Institute, Waterloo - Canada & ICTP-SAIFR, Sao Paulo - Brazil)
- Complex Systems, Chaos and Quantum Physics Frontier
- Michael Berry (University of Bristol, UK)
- Alfredo Ozorio (CBPF - Brazilian Center for Research in Physics, Rio de Janeiro - Brazil)
- Itamar Procaccia (Weizmann Institute, Rehovot - Israel)
- Quantum Materials Frontier
- Amir Caldeira (Unicamp - The State University of Campinas, Brazil)
- Mucio Continentino (CBPF - Brazilian Center for Research in Physics, Rio de Janeiro - Brazil)
- Reinhold Egger (University of Dusseldorf, Germany)
- Karen Hallberg (Balseiro Institute - Bariloche Atomic Center, Argentina)
- Eduardo Marino (Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- Thereza Paiva (Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- Mathematical and Statistical Physics Frontier
- Francisco Alcaraz (University of Sao Paulo, Sao Carlos - Brazil)
- Giuseppe Mussardo (SISSA - International School for Advanced Studies, Trieste - Italy)
The program of the talks appears at the bottom of this page.
University of Chicago (main)
International Institute of Physics Association
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org